The original General Standards appeared in the Federal Register on February 14, 1947, as part of the implementing regulations for the Hill-Burton program. In 1974 the document was retitled Minimum Requirements of Construction and Equipment for Hospital and Medical Facilities. After public input and comments were received, The Department of Health, Education, and Welfare’s (DHEW) Office of Facilities Engineering published these requirements in a document titled Technical Manual on Facility Design and Construction.
There have been other publications in 1983-84, 1987, 1992-93, 1996-97.
In 1998 Facility Guidelines Institute (FGI) was founded as an independent, not-for-profit corporation.
Since then, publications have been issued in 2001, 2006, and 2010.